~ Harbor Springs MI ~
CORP. LEO M. SMITH
KILLED IN ACTION AT SOISSONS FRANCE
JULY 19, 1918
KILLED IN ACTION ARGONNE FOREST FRANCE
OCTOBER 26, 1918
AND IN HONOR OF THE MEN OF
HARBOR SPRINGS WHO WENT FORTH
AT THE CALL OF THE THEIR COUNTRY TO
FIGHT IN THE GREAT WAR FOR
WORLD WIDE LIBERTY
1917 ~ 1918
IN MEMORY OF
THOSE WHO MADE
THE SUPREME SACRIFICE
AND IN HONOR OF THOSE
FROM HARBOR SPRINGS WHO
SERVED A GRATEFUL COUNTRY
DURING WORLD WAR II
From the 1951 article below it seems that the WWII memorial was dedicated on Memorial Day 1951.
Above photos were of WWI on the left, and WWII on the right.
A wonderful, and through description, exists on-line for the...
~ Harbor Springs Civil War Cannon ~
The cannon located in Zorn Park in Harbor Springs MI is a IX Dahlgren Shell Gun Cannon. This cannon has similar markings to the IX Dahlgren Cannon located across Little Traverse Bay in Petoskey's Pennsylvania Park. The cannon originally had, as a part of its display in Zorn Park, 20 cannon balls placed around it; four cannon balls at each corner, and another four in front directly under the barrel. Over the years the cannon balls have disappeared. Does anyone have any knowledge of the whereabouts of any of the cannon balls?
Markings on the 9" Cannon
~ Zorn Park Plaque for the Cannon ~
The 7 September 2017 Petoskey News Review's Jillian Fellows reported: The Harbor Springs Area Historical Society members plan to install a plaque on the cement structure of the IX Dahlgren Shell Gun Cannon's base. David Lyle, a trustee for the society, spoke about the cannon saying that "It was installed by veterans back in 1909 and 1910 in Harbor Springs and we want to honor them." The photo of the cannon included with the article plainly showed at least two cannon balls placed on the cement structure close to the barrel of the cannon.
~ Namesake for Zorn Park ~
The memorial for Reverend Philip Seraphin Zorn rests next to the Holy Childhood of Jesus Church in Harbor Springs MI. Although nearby Zorn Park was named for Reverend Zorn, his remains were only recently, in 2013, returned to his last parish where he labored for so many years.